Are you looking for the best ideas to learn how to promote a course?
In a world that has become self-taught and virtual education takes more space, it is time to contribute your value. In addition to this, the demand for online education also manifests itself as an opportunity for growth, segmentation, and consequently entrepreneurship.
To give an example, 74% of web developers train in a self-taught way from the YouTube platform.
If you are a freelance or self-taught professional and have put together a course, stay until the end of this article to learn valuable strategies on how to promote your course.
Table of Contents
10 Strategies for promoting a course
Sometimes we are so eager to publish our course to the world that we forget the steps and strategies that we must execute. So if we plan ahead, the course will have the expected results.
In a digital world of competition where you find more and more options to learn, any wrong move is a potential loss of your client. For this reason, we explain a series of strategies that you must execute before quickly going to publish your course.
1. Create a marketing plan
You need a starting point. The basis of how to promote a course lies in the strategies you use to do so. Luckily, a marketing plan allows you to measure the results of these strategies in statistical data, which determines if you continue to use the same tools or if you modify the plan.
We also recommend reading: Inbound Marketing Strategies
For this, you need to know the strengths and weaknesses of your course, its value proposition, and what is most important: Learn to sell it.
We help you through effective marketing strategies to promote your course and obtain the results you expect.
2. Know your student’s needs
We will not stop repeating the fundamentals that it means that you know the needs of your ideal student. When this magic happens you understand:
- The method in which you like to learn.
- The format of the course and the appropriate duration.
This way, your course will not only be useful but will also be potential enough for anyone who decides to buy it. In addition to assessing your student’s needs, you also need to answer the following questions:
Does my course have a value proposition for the student? We know that the competition is tough and overwhelming on the internet, so your course must be programmed to contribute something different from the rest, or useful for this student.
Is my course generic?
This happens when we develop a topic that can be general. General topics are also fundamental since if we do not study something general we do not start towards something specific.
Since several topics are linked together if your course is general, does it have specific orientation points? When you contribute a differential element with a purpose, your course becomes more potential than the rest.
3. Create a visual identity
To learn how to promote a course you have to first decide what will be the face of this course? Will it be my image? Someone else’s? Or no image.
Any of the above is valid, depending on your student target. Although it is true that giving a visual identity to your course creates more fidelity and therefore confidence in what you are teaching, everything will depend on the target you are addressing.
In the same way, I explain a little about visual identity. If you decide to be the autonomous image of this course and of many more that you want to run, you should take into account the following:
- Avoid talking about your personal life as much as possible unless it is to motivate students through your stories.
- Take care of the incongruity. If you stand out among certain values and fail in one of these, it can cost you the loyalty of one of your clients.
Now, if you decide that the identity of the course is anonymous, it is also valid, it will only depend on how comfortable your student feels with this modality. There are potential professionals who use mystery when giving great teachings.
And this only has the desired effect when the strategies that we will be described throughout the article are used.
4. Start giving position to that identity on social media
Have you already decided what will be the modality that you will use to teach the course? It is time to create a position and space for yourself on social networks. We know that we speak in the plural, but it is recommended that you first evaluate In which social network does your student spend the most time?
It is important to start with one or two social networks in which you can soon invest in paid advertising (if you want more reach and visibility).
In the social network that you have chosen to publicize your course, you can ask the followers about doubts such as:
- If you are undecided between two topics in relation to the creation of your course.
- In what format are you most comfortable?
- How long would it last?
Social networks allow you to have direct contact with your student, in addition to adjusting the final details for the launch. Use all the internal tools of each social network and make the most of it to create a position on the internet.
4. Have your own website
You are right! Don’t be anxious or hard-pressed to quickly sell your course on platforms where a percentage of your masterpiece is taken away from you. Do you want to be the total winner of the percentage of your intellect? Create a web page.
Through it you have the following:
1. Capture leads that become potential customers
A lead is a user who has shown interest in your content and has decided to leave their personal data to continue receiving more information. Do you know what this means? In a world saturated with information, the user just wants to simplify his life.
So if he has decided to leave you his personal data it is because he is really interested in your content and you can develop a course for him.
These users have bet on your content, so then you can send them personalized emails with educational content, and promotional content.
Note: If the user does not want to leave their data, do not insist, do not be invasive. This process should be super intuitive and natural.
2. Develop landing pages
A landing page is the ideal place for your course to be. Let’s say that this becomes the protagonist where the student only has to click to buy that desired course.
It is also your responsibility to make the landing page a protagonist. What must it contain to achieve its purpose?
- A promotional or explainer video: If the user has reached this page, it is because they are almost sure of purchasing your course. Let this video be the final push to hit the buy button.
- Calls to action: Where can your user purchase the course? Create buttons with messages like Contact us.
- Testimonials: Some people need growth stories and tangible proof that your work is solid. Ask a few colleagues or potential clients to rate the experience.
5. Content of your authorship that promotes value
The blog section is already indispensable in all business websites. Especially if you want to start making a career out of yourself. The blog lets your potential buyer know how you are doing on the topic you are promoting in your course.
Although it seems that the internet is saturated with information there will always be room for valuable content. So if you decide to have a web page, do not forget to attach your blog section and have your window to the world.
6. Use guest blogging or write as a guest
Do you have a colleague from the university or from life? Do you also like what your content creates and looks like? Create an agreement with him and write on his blog as a guest. This will allow you to use authoring links for Google and thus give your course rank on google.
This not only works through a website but on social media. Agree with colleagues and do activities such as:
- One day a week plan a theme and do a live one.
- Create a Podcast.
- Develop a topic in a post.
- Invite users to read more on the blog.
7. Video marketing or explainer videos
Did you know that 75% of people are more likely to follow a brand if it has video content?
One of the potential ways to reach your students is through videos that you can position on your website, on social networks or on the King YouTube video platform.
When you show your face and explain what you know, the following happens:
- You transmit security, confidence, and professionalism through body language. So it is like the final link that the user needed to acquire your course.
- If they like what they saw in the first video, they will most likely consume more content and even become part of your community.
- You become an example to follow and reinforce the desire for what this student wants to achieve with his life.
8. Go ahead and create a Webinars
There will always be a dubious customer who doesn’t want to jump into uncharted waters. A webinar is an infallible technique to start capturing that student interested in the subject, but who wants to know what the experience with you as an expert would be like.
Not because it is free should it be less shocking, or less elaborate. Imagine that you are a student who has already paid for your course and you are getting down to work with the explanation.
Webinars are ideal as:
- Introduce information to the topic that the course will contain.
- Any other topic related to the course you want to promote.
- An introductory dynamic to the course you want to sell.
9. Develop a potential lead magnet
A lead magnet is that precious gift for your potential student. Many freelancers or self-taught people confuse this gift with something that they have dusty on their computer or a topic that they discussed with their colleagues.
This magnet should make the customer feel like: Wow, is this really a gift? And that is perceived as valuable and what he would bet money on.
Lead magnets come in the form of:
- A PDF with a program or advice (Depending on your sector)
- A free meeting with you as a professional.
- A video.
Everything that you consider can add value to your life and the life of your business.
10. Paid advertising to increase the reach of your course
We do not leave advertising as the final section because it has to be the last strategy you execute. You can promote the reach of a landing page, of a publication on your social networks, among others.
What if you should not use is an advertisement for your course without having promoted content in this regard. Since you would pay per click but the user when entering your course and not having a clue of who you are, what purpose the course has, advantages and benefits as well as how it arrived will leave.
And you will only be paying per click but those clicks will not convert into conversions. For this reason, for advertising to work, you must use the strategies mentioned above.
Create a space on the internet and social networks where they can know about you and what you are done. Only in this way will advertising have even more reach and visibility towards that public who does not know you, but who will be hooked with everything you have to offer.
Conclusions about how to promote a course
The ideal is always to have a reasonable amount of time for creating the course, developing the strategies and positioning the course on the internet. Yes, at first it may seem like a long process and in some cases endless. From the rush, what remains is fatigue, so think about the profits you will have in the long term once your course begins to sell itself.
If you use each of these strategies (without a chronological order) through trial and error you will get the results you have been waiting for. For this reason we advise you to:
- Don’t be too quick to sell your course on third-party platforms that limit your earnings or take away a total percentage of the course.
- Do not develop “quick” strategies that have no intention or relationship with the objectives of your course. They will make you feel like your course will never really take off. Work with professionals specialized in the area so that you can observe the progress.
- Trust the process and your product. Convey these emotions to your potential students and continue to refine them over time.
We help you create reach and visibility through solid marketing strategies.